Mayor Councillor Khal Asfour
Mayor Councillor Khal Asfour at the VIP opening of the Bankstown Library & Knowledge Centre, April 2014
I am a proud lifelong resident of Bankstown and received my education at Greenacre Public, St John Vianney Primary, St Johns College Lakemba, Benilde High Bankstown, and the University of NSW.
I’m honoured to have served the great city of Bankstown as a Councillor since 2004 and Mayor for the past three years, and to be raising three precious children, Elias, Analise and Lucas with my wife, Sally in the local area.
One of my greatest passions and priorities is assisting residents in need and ensuring all of them have a say on the future of Bankstown. I am also strongly committed to helping Council achieve its Corporate Vision, ‘A Culture, Place and City of Excellence’, and proud of what we’ve accomplished together in recent years including;
- Construction of the Bankstown Sporting Hall of Fame at Memorial Oval;
- Installation of Bankstown’s first public Devine Liberty Swing in Paul Keating Park for children with a disability;
- Adoption of our City’s first ever Reconciliation Action Plan with Bankstown’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community;
- Completion of the $21 million state of the art Bankstown Library and Knowledge Centre, one of the most advanced facilities of its kind in NSW;
- $4m ground breaking tri-generation project in Council’s headquarters, Civic Tower (saving ratepayers almost $140,000 p/a);
- $154 million 2014-2015 Operational Plan that represents a $800 investment in every man, woman and child in the Bankstown LGA;
- Enhancing Council’s financial stability by working to reduce debt and ensure Council is on track to be debt free by 2018;
- Establishment of Council’s new Residents Panel, Road Shows and my Mayoral Street Meets;
- Launch of the Bankstown City Council Community Safety and Crime Prevention Plan 2014-2017 and the Bankstown City Youth Plan 2014 – 2108;
- Council’s overwhelmingly successful Learn to Swim Program and Bankstown Midnight Basketball (now the biggest Midnight Basketball Program in Australia!);
- Inaugural ‘Building a Better Bankstown Forum’ followed by inaugural Retail, Manufacturing and other sector forums to come;
- Numerous state and national awards for Council’s free Food Handler Training Course, Wheelie Good Compost and Wheelie Good Mulch initiative, Recycle Right and other initiatives;
- Significant increase in investment in our City and the raising of Bankstown’s profile as a tourist and business destination. In 2012-2013 alone, eight new major companies (including several multinationals) moved into Bankstown resulting in $130 million worth of investments and the creation of 1,000 new jobs; and
- Since becoming Mayor my Charity Dinners have raised more than $350,000 as follows;
- 2011 Mayoral Charity Dinner - over $53,000 in support of Bankstown City Aged Care;
- 2012 Mayoral Charity Dinner- $80,000 for Bankstown Hospital’s Paediatric Unit;
- 2013 Mayoral Charity Dinner-$63,000 in support of Save Our Sons and Youth Off The Streets; and
- 2014 Mayoral Charity Dinner-$156,000 for the Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics (FAST).
Mayor Councillor Khal Asfour looking at plans for Bankstown Gardens 2004.
In my capacity as a White Ribbon Ambassador I passionately campaign for an end to violence against women in Bankstown, and I’m an equally passionate advocate of our community in my role as a Director of Local Government NSW (LGNSW) in many key areas such as;
- Constitutional recognition of Local Government;
- NSW Planning System;
- Local Government Early Intervention Bill;
- Emergency services funding;
- LED street lighting;
- Draft NSW Ports and Freight Strategy;
- Children’s safety and windows; and
- Coal seam gas mining.
I’m also working hard to build even stronger ties between Council and the many community, cultural, sporting groups and associations, service clubs, registered clubs and businesses across Bankstown and working closely with them for the benefit of all residents.
Amongst other things, Bankstown’s future success will depend on our unity as a community and all of us continuing to contribute to the greatest of our abilities as mums and dads, workers, professionals, students, business people and others.
I am honoured by our community's confidence in me and determined to ensure that our city, though great, will become even greater still.
I look forward to what the future has in store for all of us!