Go To Site Search
Development Application Process
A Development Application (DA) is a formal request for permission to carry out 'development'.

'Development' includes:
  • the erection and/or alteration of a building or structure; 
  • any work in, over, or under land; 
  • the use of land or a building; and 
  • the subdivision of land. 

All such work requires a Development Application unless it is listed as 'exempt development' or 'complying development'. Development Applications can be simple 'Fast Track' proposals that can be determined relatively quickly or can be more complex proposals that fall under 'Integrated' or 'Designated' development under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act,1979.

Below is a brief overview of the DA process:

Submitting a DA
  • Prepare your application
  • Lodge your application.

How we assess your development application
  • Initial review
  • Expert referrals 
  • Advertising and notification period
  • Assessment
  • Determination.

Building certification
  • Application
  • Commencement of works
  • Occupation certificate
Link to Building and Subdivision Work Certification brochure

Construction Certificates
A construction certificate is an approval for building or subdivision works and is obtained after a development application has been approved. A construction certificate can be issued by Council or an accredited certifier and ensures the detailed construction plans and specifications are consistent with the development consent and comply with the Building Code of Australia, relevant Australian Standards and any other relevant Act or Regulation.

Link to Construction Certificate application

Principal Certifying Authority
Once development consent and a construction certificate has been obtained, you need to appoint a Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) before the commencement of work. A PCA can be Council or an accredited certifier who oversees the construction by conducting inspections of the work, issuing critical stage inspection reports, compliance certificates, or an occupation certificate.

Link to commencement of building or subdivision work and appointment of PCA form
Link to occupation certificate application form
Link to subdivision certificate application form

Building Certificates
A building certificate is a certificate of non-action which is obtained prior to the settlement of property or to remedy unauthorised works. A builidng certificate prevents council from issuing certain types of orders for seven (7) years.

Building certificates are issued under section 149A of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 which outlines their full effect.

Link to building certificate application form